Monday, June 16, 2008

To my Dad...

Sunday was Father's Day and for me its a very bitter-sweet day. It's not the easiest of days but i am grateful that we celebrate the beauty of fatherhood. There is no greater responsibility than the role of a parent.


Memories of my Dad....




All growing up, I think every family has a certain place where they sit at the dinner table...well mine was by him. It was just my spot. Also in church, us kids would fight over who got to sit by Dad. We all knew if we could sit by him he'd rub our backs. We loved it when that happened. :)





When I was in junior high, I remember all the boys knew who my dad was. They would talk about him and say how huge he was. They all were so intimidated by him. He always got a kick out of that! those of you who knew my dad, he had this great sense of humor and could make anoyone feel welcome and comfortable in our home.


One thing that I admire most about my Dad is the way her served and befriended those around him. I grew to know the full impression and impact he had on others when he passed away. I feel so honored that I had such a kind, selfless Dad who never cared if you were a housekeeper at the hospital where he worked, a non-member, or a CEO of a company... He treated everyone the same. He loved people despite there imperfections. I have been so blessed by his example. it has truly changed my life and what I hold valuable. He has taught me to not be judgmental and search for the good in people.


My dad gave back more than he was ever given. He was the most generous Dad. I knew I could count on him when I needed help with anything whether it be financially, emotionally, spiritually, etc. He worked hard to give us the best of this life. I know that he lived for his family, to make us happy and strong in the Gospel.


He LOVED John Denver!!!!! ha ha We've always taken a roadtrip back to the Oregon Coast once a year to go camping with my extended family and without fail every single trip we had to listen to John Denver! It used to drive me absolutely nuts! I hated John Denver when I was younger... but over the years it's really grown on me! Instead of just my Dad singing the songs we would all belt them out and it made for some really good laughs!! :)

Probably the most memorable moments with my dad are when we'd have our lunch dates. Ever since I could drive I just loved meeting up with my dad at the Mckay Dee Hospital where he worked to have lunch. The food was great, and the company was even better. :) There is nothing better than having one on one conversations with him. We talked about everything under the sun.


Another Memory I have is not one of the easiest of times but one I will cherish for the rest of my life. I was able to go and sit with my Dad every time he had chemotherapy. Those were the best, hardest, happiest, saddest, inspiring talks we've ever had. I learned more about my dad in those few hours than I ever could of in a life time. I am truly blessed to be able to share that time with him. Dad, you are my hero.


I cherish every single memory I have of my Dad and there's not a single day that goes by that I don't think of him. It's a comfort to know that even though he's not physically with me, I KNOW that his main priority is still to his family. I love you so much Dad and miss you more than I can ever express! Happy Father's Day.

13 comments:

ThE fRoNkS!... said...

Ash- This is such a touching post. I am crying right now. I really get the feel of how much you love and miss your dad. You are so strong-stronger than I think I could EVER be. I hope you are able to remember all the happy memories you had with him. Thanks for the beautiful post!

Brian and Amber said...

Ashley that post was beautiful. It seriously made me cry. You are such an awesome girl and I know all of your dad's great traits are in you.

Kathryn Buxton said...

I love it, you are such a sweet daughter and so a good sister and friend so all those that you know. Those are some incredibly kind things to say. I want you to know that I was thinking about you on Father's Day and was just hoping everything is going great and you're family is going wonderfully. You're amazing, don't ever forget it!
-kathryn

Krista said...

My mom used to love John Denver and I hated listening to it too!

Your dad was an amazing person. Even though I didn't know him amazingly well, I know everything you said about him is true. He had such a fun, happy, personable personality and made everyone feel special. You are lucky to have had him as your father, and he raised a great daughter! Love ya!

Chelsie said...

Ash, that was the sweetest post...it got me all choked up....he sounds like a truly amazing man. How lucky to have such an amazing father figure and how lucky for him to have a little girl like you. Love ya

hilary said...

reading that made me tear up. that was such a good post, ash. your dad is a great guy. i loved all of your pictures, you're such a cute family! i know he's so proud to have you as his daughter and that he's watching over you. love you, ash!

Unknown said...

You are so sweet, I am trying not to cry right now. What a beautiful tribute to your great father. I know he loves you too and is with your family everyday :)

snigaduuu said...

Ash you sure have a way with words to touch everyones hearts!! I know your Dad was a great man and your Mom is awesome because of the Daughter they have. You are the kindest and most giving person I know! I'm lucky to have met such a wonderful friend! Luv ya girl!

Paige said...

Wow, that was a really awesome tribute to your dad. He really was such a nice person. I didn't know him too well but everytime I was around I just felt comfortable. No wonder he has such an amazing daughter! I love ya ash! Thanks for being a good friend!

amy g said...

Great tribute to your dad. I never knew him, but through you I can tell he was an amazing guy.

Carol Whittaker Turner said...

Ashley,
You did it again! You made me cry I am so touched by your tribute to your dad!! It is obvious you have been raised by a terrific family.
I know you miss him, but keep hold of the good memories!
love ya girl!

sara and wade said...

oh how i love you. what a great daughter you are and that in itself is such a great tribute to your mom and dad. i never really knew your dad all that well, but i know that he was amazing just from how much you love and admire him. keep hold of those great memories. love ya babe!

Kat and Bobby said...

ash. what a special tribute. thank you for sharing such tender memories. what an amazing person. father's day is hard for me too...as far as the timing goes, but you were in my thoughts all day. love you.